2/03/2008

SURF








Yesterday, Sunday, I did something I never thought I would ever try.

SURF!

No, not on internet, on waves.
Me, Tony, Mark (Manager on Beachcomber Island Dive shop) and a Norwegian girl, Sylvia, went down to Natadola beach (Pronounced Natandola).

Tony and I was there a few weeks back but that was on a cloudy and lightly rainy day and I didn’t surf. I have always thought it to be too advanced for little old me.

I started out snorkeling when the others were surfing. Sylvia had never surfed either. Mark was busy teaching her.

After a bit of nag from Tony I got on the board, too. He has a 9 footer so it was nicely big and sturdy. He told me just to lay down on it and feel the waves, get the balance. Got sme instructions but they were all gibberish too me. Do this or do that, trim the board and so on. Well he got me off on my first wave. It was great! I thought it would never end! Well that’s what it felt like anyway. Then I had to turn and paddle back against the waves. Very much hard work. Not only that but you have to lay straight as a ruler on the board with both feet on it, keep the balance and head straight forward. It did take me some time to get back to him. Then turn and off I went again. Not as far though.

Next step is to stand on knees! Now that doesn’t work since I barely can stay on it as it is, my thinking. We are moving on too fast.

But I was wrong again. However I had one go when I was plowing under the surface with the front of the board. Didn’t get far at all and I thought I would sink! Didn’t happen.

Then I got to use the smaller board. Harder to use cause the floating area got smaller and I was even more wobbling on it. Did try to relax but it’s hard.

Easier to steer and turn but yet takes more of a balance act to it.

I did a couple of go’s on it until my arms got tired from all the paddling, I was half blind from all the waves beating in my eyes and my mouth felt like I had been drinking half the ocean. SALTY!

Just as good to stop before you’re exhausted completely.

It’s also needed to say I wasn’t dressed to surf. Yeah I had my rash vest but no shorts. Just a bikini that dug further and further in my butt. Rather uncomfortable at the beginning but after sometime I forgot about it and burned my butt.

SO I finished off and got up on beach to share some lunch with the others. Bagels! Yeah….homemade! Had some nachos as well with guacamole. Yammie!

I just wanted to get back in there again but there was no time. We had to go back home and try to catch a friend of Tony’s at the yacht Club and Mark and Sylvia had to return to the Island before dark.

We have now decided to go diving every other Sunday and go surfing the other, all weather depending, of course.

In 2 weeks Tony will be in NZ a couple of days so I have decided to try to go to the Island and dive if there is room.

Why sit home alone when you can go and have fun!!

Have to ask someone to feed the dog then.

No comments: