2/10/2008

What I do to pass time in Fiji

Many of you may wonder what I do to pass time in Fiji.
Here is one example to what I do, when I need something to do........

We, Tony and I, had no mirror in the house, other than a tiny one in the bathroom that I barely could see my own nose in, standing on my toes.

I asked Tony, my partner, if we could make one ourselves.
I had seen some ideas I liked, out on the islands.
-Sure no problem!
He was to get some wood for the framing. Nothing happened, well not fast enough...forgot or had no time.
I can't blame him since he work full time and I don't.
I found some floor lists in the back room, that belongs to the house he rent, but I am hoping they don't miss them. I asked him to use that to cut and make the frame. Sure thing!
Christmas Eve he cut and put together the framing for me. That was my Christmas present!

I was so happy!

Then it was my job to decorate it.
I had already done a collection.
First step was to sand the frame, but just roughly.


Had gotten sand from Beachcoomber Island that I liked. It does vary a lot between the Islands.
Washed and dried it.
Tony bought some woodglue that I brushed on and spread sand over it. s


Didn't get satisfied with one coat so I brushed on some more, more heavily.
Tony got the mirror in place.
Then the fine work left.......



I got the shells stuck on with a glue gun.
Then I had put more wood glue and sand over the glue from the gun.
Put on heavily at times and uneven , as well as lightly on some of the shells.
Now I was getting somewhere!



Then the finish.....get the loops in, for hanging, hang it and wash it!

All in all it took a week to make.
Had to wait for glue to dry between coats and get the actual mirror.

I am very satisfied with the result, though!

No comments: